Monday, January 7, 2013

Red Beans and Rice with Fried Egg


Red Beans and Rice is something Ivan grew up on- for breakfast, lunch or dinner this was a staple meal for him in Puerto Rico. I try and make it as often as I can as there are a lot of other meals he loves in which I don't have access to their ingredients. If you want to try this, make sure your local store sells Goya's Recaito and Sofrito. I know Publix sells theirs in the frozen isle, whereas I usually buy when I can find it in the Mexican/ Asian isle in glass jars. You can also buy them online at amazon for cheap in case your local store doesn't sell them! ( I usually do that so I know I won't EvEr run out!!)

Red Beans and Rice with Fried Egg
Ingredients:
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 jar of Recaito
1/3 jar of Sofrito
1 can small tomato sauce
2 cans Goya light red kidney beans (not drained)
2 cans Goya dark red kidney beans (drained)
salt, pepper, Adobo, Badia's complete seasoning to taste
4 Eggs
3 C cooked rice ( 1 1/2 C uncooked rice- cook according to pkging)

1. Cook onion, garlic, and seasoning in olive oil until translucent in large skillet.
2. Add Recaito and Sofrito and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce (if it appears to thick you can fill your empty tomato sauce can with water ad add to skillet)
3. Add your beans and cook on low simmer for 25-35 minutes or until your beans are soft. Taste and make sure everything is seasoned well. If it needs more seasoning, add some Adobo and pepper.
(Adobo is very salty, and I have made the mistake of adding salt and Adobo- I love salt.. but not that much!)
4. In another skillet, add your eggs and fry. Cook eggs so the yolk will ooze out when on the plate. This adds a lot of flavor


That's all! Enjoy!